Aspinwall House is a large sea-facing 19th century British heritage building in Fort Kochi. Now this property is globally known as the main venue of Kochi-Muziris Biennale, the international contemporary art festival of India.

Bastion Bungalow, located near Vasco da Gama square in Fort Kochi, is a sea-facing Dutch heritage structure built in 1667. This elegant bungalow features an Indo-European style of architecture with Kerala tile roofing and a wooden verandah on the first floor.

Bishop House at Fort Kochi is the abode of the Catholic Bishop of Kochi diocese. It is only a short walk from Parade Ground towards the south. The structure of Bishop House bears witness to Kochi’s long colonial history.

Cabral Yard near Aspinwall House in Fort Kochi is a piece of land in memory of Pedro Álvares Cabral, the first Portuguese sailor to Kochi in 1500. Cabral Yard is one of the venues of the Kochi-Muziris Biennale at present.

Calvetti Canal is one of the important landmarks in Kochi. At one end, Calvetti Canal meets the magnificent Vembanad Lake, where the river Periyar merges with the Arabian Sea.

Built in 1384, Calvetti Juma Masjid is one of the oldest mosques in Kochi and its history is closely knit with the history of Kochi itself.  Kochi became popular as a port only after the massive flooding of the river Periyar in 134

Consecrated in 1724, the Dutch Cemetery in Kochi is perhaps the oldest existing European cemetery in India. After defeating the Portuguese in 1663, the Dutch ruled Kochi until the end of the 18th century.

The treasures of Kochi, ‘the Queen of Arabian Sea’, are its water bodies. The main reason for Kochi emerging as the most important trading centre of Kerala was its geography.

Hari Shenoy’s Bungalow is a heritage building near Thirumala Devaswom Temple (TD Temple) in Cherlai at Mattancherry. Named after R.S.

Koonan Kurishu is a much-storied granite cross and a witness to the historic occasion during the seventeenth century when the split in the Christian community of Kerala became public and irrevocable.

Located in Calvetti, south of the Calvetti Juma Masjid and north of the Boat Jetty, Pepper House was originally a warehouse for spices, that has now been converted into a cultural center and coffee shop.

The Mutaliyarbhagam Rameswaram temple is owned by the Tamil-speaking Vellala Pillai community.

Konkanis, who migrated from Goa in the 16th and 17th centuries fearing the ‘mass conversion policy’ of the Portuguese government in Goa, settled in the Fort Kochi and Mattancherry areas. There are sub-castes among Konkanis, and this division is mainly based on their occupations.

The Thuruthy Juma Masjid at Thuruthy was built in 1889. Thuruthy, is geographically an island on the banks of the Calvetti Canal and is regarded very important historically. In Malayalam, the regional language of Kerala, the word thuruthu means island.

Dhobi Street, about 150 meters north of Dhobi Khana, near the Pallath Raman Hall at Fort Kochi, is the residence of the Tamil-speaking Vannan community. The community migrated to Kochi and settled here centuries ago. There is no one reliable record on the migration of the Vannans.

Dhobi Khana at Veli in Fort Kochi, is where the Tamil-speaking Vannan community carry out laundry works, the profession practiced by the community traditionally.

Nehemiah Ben Abraham Motha was a Jewish Mystic/Kabbalist who lived in Kochi, and is considered to be one of the Indian subcontinent’s greatest. A poet who used to write in Hebrew, Nehemiah Motha was a Yemenite who navigated to Kochi and lived there till his death.

Kochi celebrates the Pappanji Burning Festival every year on the night of 31st of December as part of the New Year bash. This celebration is unique to Kochi. Thousands of people gather at Fort Kochi beach to take part in the festival.

Cochin Thirumala Devaswom in Cherlai near Mattancherry, is the place of worship for Konkanis, especially for the Gowda Saraswath Brahmin community. Lord Venkateshwara (Venkatachalapathy) is the main deity at this temple.

Althara Bhagavathy Temple in Amaravathy near Fort Kochi belongs to the Konkani-speaking Vaishya-Vaniya community. History says that Konkani-speaking communities migrated to Kochi in different groups during the 16th century, when the Portuguese invaded Goa and brought in ‘mass conversion policy’.

Annapurna Sweets and Restaurant located on Gujarati Road in Mattancherry, near Gujarat Bhavan is famous for delicious sweets and savouries. Established in 1945, the shop owes its origin to a Gujarati Brahmin family.

Biriyani is a popular spicy South-Asian mixed rice dish, served with or without meat. Kochi is famous for biriyanis made with chicken, mutton, and/or beef. Although biriyani is enjoyed by people from different walks of life, the dish is usually associated with Islamic cuisine.

Kochi’s evolution as a major port and international hub for spice trade in the 14th century also saw the development of infrastructure to facilitate the smooth functioning of the port and the market. Bazar Road was made as the main link road connecting the port and the market.

Sir Robert Bristow, a British engineer, was the key person involved in designing and developing the Kochi port. He lived in Kochi and the place where he stayed, a British structure, is referred to as Bristow's residence.

Built between 1520 and 1540, Chembitta Palli, located in the Kochangadi region of Mattancherry, is one of the oldest mosques in Kochi. The land was gifted by the King of Kochi to build a mosque.

The Chinese fishing nets, popularly known as cheenavala in Malayalam, are peculiar to Kochi. Tourists visiting Fort Kochi or even Kerala rarely miss this iconic attraction considered to be a cultural stamp of Kochi.

In Malayalam, ‘Ariyittu Vaazicha’ means sacred royal coronation ceremony. Ariyittu Vaazicha Kovilakam is the palace where the coronation ceremony of the kings of Kochi was conducted. The ceremonial dresses and paraphernalia for the ceremony is kept in this palace as well.

The building where the Cochin Carnival Office functions is a British building. Before the modernisation of the Kochi port and shifting of the port to Willingdon island, the ships were anchored near Fort Kochi, close to the building that houses the Carnival Office.

Cochin Club is a Dutch heritage structure and was also used during the British period as a club. Cochin Club is located opposite St. Francis Church, the oldest European building in India, built by the Portuguese.