Cochin College, established on 15th July 1967, is an arts and science college affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University. The college was accredited by NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) in 2012.
The coastline of Kerala is rich and diverse in seafood resources. The Cochin Fisheries Harbour (CFH) was established and managed by the Cochin Port Trust (CPT) to provide infrastructural facilities for the acquirement and marketing of this resource.
It was one of the elitist clubs in Kochi. Established during the British period, the story is that the United Club was founded as a protest by a group of Indian youngsters in Fort Kochi against the Cochin Club, which was owned by and accessible only to the Britishers.
Cocker’s Theatre had a landmark role to play in the history of Malayalam cinema, and was very popular amongst the locals. In the 1960s and 1970s, the theatre was known as Zaina and it was the first cinema hall in Kerala to have the 70mm screen and the latest sound technology.
Located near Bishop House in Fort Kochi, the CSI Bungalow is presently owned by the Church of South India (CSI). This colonial structure was built during the British period and it was used by the Anglican Church as the residence of the priest of St, Francis Church in Fort Kochi. St.
Cutchi Memon Hanafi Mosque on Bazar Road in Mattancherry is locally referred to as Pazhaya Palli, which means old mosque. This 19th century mosque is owned by the Cutchi Memon Muslims in Kochi. Their forefathers migrated to Kochi from the Kutch region in Gujarat.
For more than a century after their arrival in 1663, the Dutch ruled Kochi and controlled the maritime trade in the southern part of the Indian subcontinent, centered around Kochi.
David Hall is a heritage building in Fort Kochi, near Parade Ground. In 1662 Kochi was captured by the Dutch from the Portuguese and they destroyed the Portuguese fort and other Portuguese buildings in Kochi to build a Dutch Fort in Kochi.
This renowned theatre was previously known as Sui Theatre or Sui Cinema. It was owned by a Cutchi Memon family that had migrated to Kochi more than a century ago from the Kutch region of Gujarat in west India.
Established in 1997, it is one of the most popular privately-owned art galleries in Kochi. Indian as well as international artists exhibit their art works at Kashi Art Gallery. A café functions alongside, where breakfast, lunch, and dinner is served.
Seafood is the main delicacy at Fort Kochi. The fish market is on the side of the beach and here one can purchase fresh catch straight from the sea.
Inaugurated in 2009, the Folklore Cultural Theatre is a space built to stage Kerala’s traditional performing art forms like Kathakali, Kalaripayattu, Ottanthullal, Mohiniyattam, and others, for the tourists visiting Fort Kochi.
Fort Kochi and Mattancherry are famous for some age-old cafes and restaurants serving signature delicacies. One such joint is Kayees Rahmathulla Cafe in Mattancherry. Popularly known as ‘Kayikkante Biriyani’, this small restaurant is famous for its lip-smacking biriyanis.
Kochi Biennale Foundation (KBF) organises the Kochi-Muziris Biennale (KMB), India’s one and only international contemporary art festival. It was founded in 2010 as a non-profit charitable trust and it engages in promoting art and culture.
The Kochi Municipal Corporation Zonal Office in Mattancherry is one of the offices of the Kochi Municipal Corporation.
Koder House is a sea facing heritage hotel at present, near the Children’s park at Fort Kochi.
Konkani Bhasha Bhavan at Cherlai Junction in Mattancherry, was founded in 1978 for the preservation and propagation of Konkani language and literature. It is the first Konkani Bhasha Bhavan in India.
Laurel Club, situated on the coast close to the Arabian Sea in Fort Kochi, is numbered 1/1 by the civic body of Kochi. Historian and writer Pratima Asher in her book mentions that the numbering of building in Kochi begins from this structure.
One of the local legends in Kochi is that St. Francis Xavier, the co-founder of the Society of Jesus and companion of St. Ignatius Loyola, stayed in one of the houses near St. Francis Church in Fort Kochi. The general belief is that a building of the 16th century near St.
This library and reading room was established in 1967 through an initiative by M K Raghavan, then the Chairman of the erstwhile Mattancherry Corporation. After his death, the library was named after him.
Mahajanawadi is one of the two settlements of the Kannada-speaking migrants at Mattancherry. The other settlement of the Kannada-speaking people at Mattancherry is Serwadi. There are about 60 Kannada-speaking families living in Mattancherry.
Established during the British period, it is one of the oldest hospitals in Kochi, that is run by the Kerala State Government at present. It was a popular hospital which was easily accessible to people from different parts of Kochi, located appropriately near roadways and waterways.
The fruits and vegetables market is a busy place in the heart of Mattancherry. Concentration of vegetarian migrant communities from different parts of India has made Mattancherry a place where fruits and vegetables are in great demand. This market is centuries old.
Kochi, in the 14th century, attracted many traders from various parts of the world. These included the Arabs, the Portuguese, the Dutch, the British and so on. These traders often tried to impress the rulers of Kochi, so as to build good trading relationships with the kingdom.
The Maulana Azad Socio-Cultural Centre Library and Reading Room, named after Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the famous Indian freedom-fighter and scholar, is well-known for socio-cultural gatherings at Kochi. It was founded in 1598.
Walking down the streets of Fort Kochi, on the Calvetti Canal road, near Aspinwall, one can find a small signboard with ‘Mehboob Memorial Orchestra’ written on it. This is a historically important site in Fort Kochi.
Nehru Memorial Town Hall owned by the Municipal Corporation of Kochi is popularly known as Mattancherry Town Hall. It is the most popular place for public gatherings in Mattancherry. The main hall of Town Hall can house about 1000 people while the dining hall can accommodate about 800.
Odatha is located near the Veli ground at Fort Kochi. The word odatha is derived from the Dutch word hortha which means garden. In the 17th century, during the Dutch rule in Kochi, a botanical garden was established in this area.
It is a privately-owned venue used mainly for contemporary art exhibitions. Established in 2004, OED is one of the most popular among such galleries in Kochi.
In the 16th century, as part of the colonisation of Kochi the Portuguese established ‘Fort Emmanuel’ and ‘Santa Cruz City’. At least five Catholic churches were part of the Portuguese establishment and a cemetery at Veli was part of this.