A famous hotel overlooking the sea at the heart of the Fort Kochi heritage zone, local historians say that this centuries old structure was built in the Dutch style of architecture with a destroyed Portuguese structure as its base.
This hotel is a British heritage building which witnessed on of the phases of development of the Cochin Port. With the modernization of the port, pilots who had expertise in guiding ships in and out of the berth emerged as key players in the day-to-day functioning of the port.
The Old Port Office is a 19th century British building, near the Fort Kochi Boat jetty. Since Kochi's evolution into a port in the 14th century, many buildings have been constructed for the administration of the port over time.
Our Lady of Life Church in Mattancherry witnessed the Koonan Kurishu or Coonan Cross Oath in the 17th century, a landmark event in the history of Christianity of Kerala. The event of the Coonan Cross Oath resulted in the division of the Christian community in Kerala.
Mattancherry Palace is situated on Palace Road, and it is from this that the road gets its name. The palace was built in 1555 by the Portuguese and gifted to Veera Kerala Varma, the King of Kochi.
Pallath Raman Memorial Hall, established in 2000, is a cultural space open to public. Located at Veli in Fort Kochi, meetings and cultural programmes are held here. It is also one of the venues of the Cochin Carnival.
It was the place of worship of the erstwhile Kochi Royal family, dedicated to the family goddess.
The Pandikudy area in Kochi has a settlement of the Vaniyars, a Tamil migrant community. Vaniyars were traditionally oil-pressers, and the Mariyamman temple at Pandikudy is owned by them.
At Fort Kochi, near St. Francis Church, where Vasco da Gama was buried in 1524, one finds a huge four-acre open space. Kochi is the only place in India which was ruled by three European colonial powers.
In the 16th century, groups of European Jews, especially from Spain, Portugal, and Poland came to Kochi seeking asylum. They came to be referred to as the Paradesi Jews or White Jews and were mainly traders who carried out diamond, precious stones, and coral trade.
Paradesi Synagogue situated on the north end of Jew Town in Mattancherry, was built in 1568 on a piece of land adjacent to the Mattancherry or Dutch Palace. The land was donated to the Jews by the King of Kochi.
Named after the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, Nehru Park near Fort Kochi beach is dedicated to children.
The word pattalam means military in Malayalam, the regional language of Kerala. In the 1930s and early 1940s, during the Second World War, there was a military camp at Fort Kochi and the place where the military camped was called Pattalam.
Pazhayanur Bhagavathy Temple is the ancestral deity or Paradevata of the Kochi royal family. This temple is located adjacent to the Mattancherry Palace which was built around 1555 as a gift to the King of Kochi by the Portuguese.
The International Pepper Stock Exchange is an organization headquartered in Jew Town, Mattancherry. The exchange, established in 1997, has been described as the world’s only Pepper Exchange.
This pillar on Fort Kochi beach was erected to commemorate the ‘Great Fire of Kochi’, which gutted a major part of British Kochi in 1889. British Port Officer J E Winckler took the initiative to erect the pillar in 1890.
Puthiya Palli, which means ‘new mosque’ in Malayalam, was built about 150 years ago by a businessman named Haji Abdullah Adam Sait. He was a social reformer who belonged to the Cutchi Memon community, a Kutchi-language speaking community of migrants from the Kutch region of Gujarat.
It is believed that Puthirikat Masjid was built just after the Cheraman Masjid, the first and oldest mosque in India, which was built in 629 CE in Kodungallur. Puthirikat Masjid is popularly known as Harbour Mosque because of its proximity to the fishing harbour.
Rameswaram Colony, also known as Chakliyar Colony, is the settlement of the Chakliyar community. Chakliyars are a Telugu-speaking community who migrated to Kochi from Tamil Nadu. The community engaged in manual-scavenging in the past to make ends meet.
Santa Cruz Basilica in Fort Kochi is a heritage edifice built during the time of Portuguese rule in Kochi. This Basilica currently serves as a Cathedral of the Diocese of Cochin.
Santa Cruz Basilica Cemetery at Veli, Fort Kochi is a part of the Santa Cruz Basilica. It was built in the 16th century during the Portuguese period. In 1503, the Portuguese built Fort Emmanuel and established their city in Kochi, and called the city Santa Cruz.
This school is named after Aasia Bai who was a social-reformer. She founded a Women's Madrasa, an educational institution for women, which was a revolutionary concept during her time.
Brunton Boatyard is a hotel in Fort Kochi on a former British boat-building yard. This structure faces the Arabian sea and the Vembanadu lake, where the river Periyar merges with the Arabian Sea.
Named after K J Herschel, former Chairman of the erstwhile Fort Kochi Municipality, this library is at least a century old. It was established during British period.
It is said that Kochi may have been the first city in India to celebrate Christmas. Christmas celebrations in Kochi are grand and popular.
The Cochin Carnival is held every year at Fort Kochi, in the last week of December. The festival commences with a flag being hoisted at the Vasco da Gama Square.
Eka Art Gallery is an initiative by three local artists. This gallery, which was opened 15 years ago, has been the venue for various art exhibitions, especially by artists from Kerala. Kochi has an art market with a few well-known and small art galleries, and tourists are the main bu
Every year, the festival of Lord Ganesh is celebrated in Kochi. This festival falls in the months of August-September.
The Hanuman temple near Amaravathy in Mattancherry is run and maintained by the Konkani Vaishya community. Lord Hanuman is main deity here. This is one of the seven temples owned by the Konkan Vaishya community in Amaravathy.
The Holy Face Emmanuel Church situated in Fort Kochi is a pilgrim center which has been gaining popularity. The main deity is Jesus Christ. According to some of the devotees, the face of Mother Mary appeared on the stomach of the statue of Jesus Christ at the pilgrim centre.