Sri Jain Sthanak is located inside the premises of the Jain Temple in Mattancherry, which was built in 1960. The Jain Sthanak is a large prayer hall. It is locally known as Vilakkillatha Ambalam or a temple without lamp.
Jalaram Dham in Mattancherry was built by the devotees of Saint Jalaram. Saint Jalaram, popularly known as Jalaram Bapa was from Virpur near Rajkot. Born in the year 1799, the Gujaratis and the Marwadis of Mattancherry consider him as their godman.
Traditionally, the Sri Nagakaleeshwari Amman Temple at Kappalandimukku in Mattancherry was owned by a Telugu-speaking community named ‘24 Manai Telugu Chetiyars’ (24 MTC).
This is one of the temples in Kochi that was established by the Gujaratis. The Gujarati Vaishnav Mahajan group manages this temple.
Sri Ram Mandir, built in the year 1982, is on Gujarati Road in Mattancherry. The temple is owned by the Aggarwal community in Kochi and is famous for its Diwali and Holi celebrations. Aggarwals migrated to Kochi from different parts of North India, especially Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Haryana.
This is one of the temples at Kochi owned by Gujarati migrants. The Bhatias, a group among the Gujaratis, pray at this temple and the main deity is goddess Durga.
Sri Sivamariamman Kovil is a temple on Dhobi Street, near Veli at Fort Kochi, owned by the Tamil-speaking migrant community of washermen, the Vannans. Legend has it that the Vannans were invited to Kochi by the King of Kochi, who granted the community land to settle down near Veli.
This cemetery is owned by St. Francis Church at Fort Kochi, which was the first European Church in India, built by the Portuguese in 1503. This church is famous as the place where Vasco da Gama the Portuguese sailor was buried.
St. Francis Church, well-known for its beautiful architecture and ambience, is believed to be one of the oldest churches built by the Europeans in India.
With a history of two centuries, St. Francis L.P. School located at Fort Kochi, is one of the oldest English-medium educational institutions in Kerala. This school was established in the year 1817.
St. John De Britto's Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School was formed on 15th August 1945 by the Benedictine Fathers. The school is named after John De Britto, a 17th-century Portuguese missionary. It started with seven teachers and ninety one students in 1945.
This chapel opposite the Holy Face Emmanuel Church at Fort Kochi, has Jesus Christ as the main deity. Believers claim that a miracle was witnessed at Holy Face Emmanuel Church a few years ago.
St. Peter’s and St. Paul’s Church was destroyed in 1868 during a festival at the church, when a massive fire broke out due to the fireworks. Established once more in 1867 by St. Thomas, the Syrian church is also referred to as the 'Church of Keralites'.
Founded before Indian Independence, Tagore Library is one the active libraries of Kochi, with nearly 1100 members.
This heritage building, constructed in 1921, was the office of a British Company trading in coir and spices. In 1950, the building was bought by the British Tea Company Brooke Bond, to be used as a staff guest house for its visiting managers.
Thakur House, situated by the Dutch Cemetery road is an 18th century Dutch building. It was built on the Gelderland Bastion of the erstwhile Dutch fort, which was built around the bastions of the demolished Portuguese fort.
Thakkyavu Mosque at Kochangadi in Mattancherry, is a building that was built in the 16th century and displays Arabic influence in its architecture.“Thakkyavu in Arabic means a place where people gather in the presence of God”, says Hashim Kochukoya Thangal, the head of the Thangal family
The Delta Study located on Tower Road in Fort Kochi is a co-educational senior secondary institution affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). This institution’s building was formerly a warehouse built in 1808 during British rule.
The Indo-Portuguese museum, in the compound of Bishop House at Fort Kochi, is a heritage museum where one can be acquainted with the Portuguese connections in Kochi’s past.
Thuruthy, is geographically an island on the banks of the Calvetti Canal and is considered to be important to the history of Kochi. In Malayalam, the regional language of Kerala, the word
The Tower House Hotel is a centuries-old heritage building which was built during the colonial era. This European-style building was used by the British firm, Pierce Leslie Company during the British Period. It is a heritage hotel at present.
Located near the Cochin Thirumala Devaswom (TD) temple at Cherlai in Mattancherry, Udyaneshwara temple is one of the few temples where Lord Siva is worshipped as the ‘God of the Garden’.There is an interesting story behind this temple.
Vasco House is a privately owned homestay at Fort Kochi near St. Francis Church. It is believed that Vasco da Gama, the legendary Portuguese explorer stayed in this building.
Vasco da Gama Square in Fort Kochi, near the sea shore, is an ideal place to spend the evenings. One can see stalls that sell nuts, tender coconut, spices, and other local delicacies.
The Veli Ground at Fort Kochi is a football-field owned by the government. There is no one authentic account on the history of the Veli Ground. Veli Ground is associated with the Vannans, the Tamil-speaking washermen community, in local oral histories.
Parade Ground, the four acre open land in Fort Kochi, is one of the landmarks of Kochi. This ground, at which military parades were carried out during the Portuguese, the Dutch and the British periods, is surrounded by many historical sites and monuments.
Women's Madrasa is a remarkable contribution made by the Cutchi Memon migrant community in Kochi, who commonly speak Kutch within the community. Built in the year 1930, it was the first madrasa for women in Kerala.
The Saraswath communtiy is one of the Konkani-speaking migrant communities in Kochi, and the organization of their people is referred to as the ‘Saraswath Association’. Originally, this community was called the Saraswath Abhramana.
Saraswath Association Library is an initiative by the association of the Saraswath people, a Konkani speaking migrant community. Saraswath Abrahmana is what the community was originally referred to as, and there are currently about 100 Saraswath families living in Mattancherry.
Santa Cruz School is a heritage building. In the 16th and 17th centuries Fort Kochi was known as Santa Cruz. Built by the Portuguese, it was the first European city in India. The School received its name from the name of this city.