Cochin Club is a Dutch heritage structure and was also used during the British period as a club. Cochin Club is located opposite St. Francis Church, the oldest European building in India, built by the Portuguese. During the British rule, in the early 19th century many elite clubs sprouted in Kochi, mainly in the Fort Kochi area. These were specially made for the gatherings of the elite personnel of the time. Only the English officials who held high positions in the hierarchy were allowed inside such clubs. Entry of Indians was prohibited. One such club was the Cochin Club.
This club was once known as the ‘English Club’. Sprawling over 3.5 acres of land, the antique building surrounded by a beautiful garden is today a place for many sport activities. It also offers accommodation and catering facilities. The structure remains mostly unaltered, and one can get a sense of English architecture on visiting this building. The high roofs and arch-styled windows, the well-furnished library are all attractions of the club. The club has records of its old British members, and photographs of many parties and gatherings hosted here. The club, now open to Indians as well, witnessed grand celebrations of Independence Day in 1947.