Hari Shenoy’s Bungalow is a heritage building near Thirumala Devaswom Temple (TD Temple) in Cherlai at Mattancherry. Named after R.S. Hari Shenoy who was born in 1849, and was the adhikari (administrator) of the TD Temple, it is situated on nearly half an acre of land owned by the temple.
Hari Shenoy founded the Thirumala Devaswom High School in Mattancherry, the first anglo-vernacular school in the area. Stories about his foresight and entrepreneurial shrewdness are still part of conversations in the neighbourhood. Hari Shenoy was a member of the Konkani-speaking Gowda Saraswath Brahmin (GSB) community in Kochi, who are popularly believed to have migrated to Kochi over the 16th and 17th centuries. The community still thrives as an integral part of the cultural make-up of Kochi, especially in the Cherlai area.
Hari Shenoy built this bungalow in 1874 in consultation with some European architects. The central room on the first floor, supposedly the master bedroom, has marble flooring made of Italian tiles and dark stone sourced from Kutch. Some of the wooden ceilings are still in good shape. In 1901, after the death of Hari Shenoy, one part of the house was used as the office of the temple and the other part became the residence of the manager of the temple. The bungalow premises were closed down in 2009 for renovation. This bungalow is the first heritage building to be conserved by Kerala’s tourism department under the Museum of Cultural Mosaic project.