The Thuruthy Juma Masjid at Thuruthy was built in 1889. Thuruthy, is geographically an island on the banks of the Calvetti Canal and is regarded very important historically. In Malayalam, the regional language of Kerala, the word thuruthu means island. It is from this that the 2-acre large island derives its name. Old records indicate that the original name used to refer to the island was Kappiri Thuruthy, where the word kappiri refers to Africans who were brought to Kochi as a labour force. Local narratives explain that this island was the area of Fort Kochi where these African slaves who were brought to Kochi to work in ships and at the port of Kochi settled.
Calvetti Canal was significant in the functioning of the Port of Kochi at one point of time as it was the parking area for wooden boats. These wooden boats brought spices from different parts of Kerala, which were one among the most valuable goods traded from the port in the past. The proximity to Calvetti Canal made Thuruthy very important during that period. The Masjid at Thuruthy is the only place of worship at Thuruthy.